Immigrate to Portugal from India
Ways in which an Indian national can move to Portugal
- for employment: both employed work and self-employed work, it requires a previously concluded employment contract or proof thereof as well as a business plan or the presentation of the intended investment or the qualifications of those who offer self-employed services.
- for research purposes: scientific researchers who are part of a program or who have an agreement with a Portuguese university or another research purpose can apply for this visa.
- for study purposes: suitable for those Indian nationals who wish to move to Portugal to study or engage in subsequent training.
- family reunification: this is possible for those individuals who wish to join their spouse, parents or siblings.
How to obtain a residence permit for employment in Portugal
How to obtain a residence permit for investment purposes in Portugal
- 1 million euros: the visa is awarded for capital transfers of this amount or above.
- 10 jobs: when the investor is able to create ten new job positions.
- 500,000 euros investment: in real estate in Portugal.
- 350,000 euros: for real estate investments in property with a construction date of more than 30 years or located in an area treated as an urban regeneration one.
- 350,000 euros: capital transfer for investments in research activities undertaken by public or private institutions.
- 250,000 euros: capital transfer for investments in arts or for the reconstruction of national heritage.
Indian investors who have the ability to make the aforementioned capital transfers of purchase property of the said amount can benefit from acquiring the investor visa as it also contains provisions for the family members. The applicant and the family members who comply with the requirements set forth by the legislation in force will be granted a permanent residence permit in Portugal that can be renewed.
The holder is entitled to live and work in Portugal, provided that he/she stays in the country for 7 or more days in the first year and at least 14 days in the following years. Under this visa scheme, the holder may apply for Portuguese citizenship by naturalization, provided that all of the other conditions are met.
When applying for a startup visa or an investment visa with the creation of job positions, entrepreneurs should also be well aware of the current company formation regime and the requirements for social security contributions set forth by the Portuguese Government through its ministries.
Applying for a Portuguese visa
- the filled-in application form;
- two recent passport-size photographs, no older than six months;
- a valid passport (valid for at least three months);
- police clearance certificate issued by the Passport Office;
- proof of sufficient income to cover the stay in Portugal;
- proof of accommodation in Portugal (lease contract for example);
- travel medical insurance;
- copy of the work contract signed by the employer and the employee;
- proof of independent work by means of a contract between the self-employed individual and the other party (for independent workers);
- air ticket reservation.
Requirements for Indian nationals living in Portugal
Living in Portugal is subject to a set of rules for the foreign national who has obtained a residence permit. The holder is entitled to fair and equal treatment, is entitled to social security and fiscal benefits, can participate in unions and may have his or her diplomas and/or a qualification recognized in Portugal.
As far as the duties of a residence permit holder are concerned, these relate to timely submissions and communications to the Foreigners and Borders Service as well as observing other rules. Our Portugal immigration agents list some of the most important duties below:
- Duty to communicate: inform the Service within 60 days of the occurrence of any change in their place of residence or civil status as well as notify any absence from the country for more than six consecutive months or eight sequential months (the notification shall be made before leaving);
- Duty to renew the permit: a temporary residence permit holder has the duty to renew the said permit thirty days before the end of its validity period;
- Duty to observe the law: foreign nationals living in Portugal are to observe public order, public security and health.
Failure to comply with the requirements for entry as well as the duties to communicate with the Portuguese authorities results in administrative offences. Our immigration lawyer in Portugal can help you understand these requirements as soon as you arrive in the country so that you can avoid any applicable penalties.
Long-term residence in Portugal is the main goal for foreign nationals who arrive in the country relocation purposes, including Indian nationals. A permanent residence permit is applied for with the Foreigners and Borders Service and the application is delivered in person, signed by the applicant or the legal representative, as applicable. A number of documents are required for this process and, in order to acquire the permanent resident status, Indian nationals will need to provide proof that they have satisfactory Portuguese language knowledge. The other required documents include the following:
- Passport photographs, with a blank background and in which the applicant can be easily identified;
- A valid travel document;
- Proof of regular income, sufficient for the applicant and/or the relatives, without the need to apply for welfare;
- Evidence of accommodation and proof of authorization for accessing the criminal record;
- Evidence of having met one’s tax obligations and those regarding social security;
- Proof of having held a temporary residence permit at least for five years prior to the application date;
- Proof of basic Portuguese language knowledge: by having completed an official Portuguese course with a private or public establishment recognized by law.
Our team can give you more details on the options that are currently in place for Indian nationals who wish to follow a recognized course that will allow them to present the needed documents that show compliance with the basic language knowledge requirements.
In order to be able to apply for a permanent residence permit in Portugal, the individual needs to not have been convicted of any custodian sentence that exceeds one year of imprisonment even if the enforcement of the sentence was suspended.
A permanent residence permit is issued for a period of five years and although it includes no inscribed validity period, it is renewed every five years or sooner, if any changes in the holder’s identification data occur prior to the five-year period. The renewal application needs to be submitted within 90 and 30 days before the end of the five-year period. When the application is submitted after this date, the applicant needs to provide satisfactory proof that he has been abroad. The residence permit is not renewed if the holder was judged by default unless he or she can bring forward proof that this is no longer the case. Once the application is successfully made, the holder receives a document that replaces the residence permit, which has a validity of 60 days, until the renewed one is issued.
If you are an Indian citizen living in Portugal, our team can help you with the application for the renewal of the permanent residence permit. Scheduling an appointment with the Foreigners and Borders Service is recommended in 2021. When possible, all or part of the needed documents will be submitted via an online application and our team can give you additional information, including the applicable fees and standard forms.
Indian nationals in Portugal
- there was a strong growth in the Indian population numbers in 2018, 127.3%.
- also in 2018, there was a 10% increase of applications from Indian nationals through the automatic pre-scheduling residence permit program (the expression of the interest to apply for a residency permit for subordinate or independent professional activities).
- 3,618 Indians have used the platform that facilitates contact between foreign citizens and the SEF service.